Greetings Brothers of the Mighty Eastern Region,
As the Regional Conference season is now behind us and the work of the fraternity before us. An item high on the priority list for the Regional Board is the appointment of the vacant board seats, Associate Regional Director and Director of Collegiate Affairs as well as the extensions of the board, the State Directors, Vice State Directors and Area Deputy Directors.
As a point of clarification, due to there being no candidates present at the 98th Eastern Regional Conference for the position of Associate Regional Director, the Regional Director has the responsibility of appointing this voting position to the board. In addition the Director of Collegiate Affairs position is a non-voting position appointed by the Regional Director to serve as a Regional board member.
In an effort to be sure that all that would like to be considered are actually considered, I am requesting that chapters submit the names of brothers that have an interest in serving in one of the aforementioned positions.
The submission of a brother’s name should also include his vision statement for the respective position and/or area.
Submissions are to be sent via email to ViceDirector@pbseast.org. All submissions are due by 5pm May 11, 2012, any submissions received after 5pm will not be considered. It is requested that all recommendations be accompanied by a signature from the respective candidate’s Chapter President.
Attached you will find the roles and responsibilities for each position. Please be sure that the brothers are fully committed to the task at hand and understands that this board is going WORK!!!
Bro. Devon M. Henry
Vice Regional Director.
Associate Regional Director
The Associate Regional Director shall particularly be responsible for keeping the Regional Director, the Regional Board and several chapters within the region and as to what programs are needed to maintain a viable collegiate structure. He shall make such reports and recommendations to the Regional Conference, the Regional Board, and the Regional Director, as he shall deem necessary and appropriate.
Regional Director of Collegian Affairs
The Regional Director of Collegian Affairs shall in consultation with the Regional Director, Vice Regional Director and Associate Director, investigate areas of retention, expansion and revitalization of Collegian chapters. He shall work with, coordinate and advice Collegian chapters, and shall encourage Collegian programs in all areas of the Region. He shall do whatever is necessary and possible within authority vested by the Regional Director to develop a strong Collegian structure for the Region. He shall acquaint himself with the needs of students throughout the Region, and he shall make recommendations to the Regional Director of Education for scholarships and grants available which must be approved by the Eastern Regional Board.
Notes: 1. He would report directly to the Regional Director but should work very closely with the Associate Director and Vice Director. 2. He shall provide written reports for all Regional Board Meetings and upon demand. 3. He shall work closely with the Vice State Director’s 4. He shall be responsible for assuring that the Graduate Advisor structure is functioning properly. 5. He shall work for the Regional Collegian Affairs Committee, with our Associate Director serving as chairman, when requested and approved by the Regional Director.
1. He would report directly to the Regional Director but should work very closely with the Associate Director and Vice Director.
2. He shall provide written reports for all Regional Board Meetings and upon demand.
3. He shall work closely with the Vice State Director’s
4. He shall be responsible for assuring that the Graduate Advisor structure is functioning properly.
5. He shall work for the Regional Collegian Affairs Committee, with our Associate Director serving as chairman, when requested and approved by the Regional Director.
Responsibility of State Directors, Vice State Directors and Area Deputy Directors
- 1. Shall visit each chapter in your state at least once during a calendar year and communicate on a regular basis information about chapter events and activities to the Regional Director, Vice Regional Director, Regional Program Directors and Regional Director of Publicity.
- 2. Shall support the Vice Regional Director in recruitment, retaining and reactivation plan and implement said program within your respective area.
- 3. Shall ensure that the roster of mailing addresses, telephone numbers and e-mail addresses of all brothers in each graduate and undergraduate chapter in your State or area is updated and provided to the Vice Regional Director and Regional Secretary as quickly as possible.
- 4. Shall assist and instruct chapters in matter pertaining to the National and Regional Constitutions, as well as National and Regional mandates.
- 5. Shall communicate with the Regional Director and Vice Regional Director on a regular basis (minimum once a week) concerning fraternity activities and/or problems in your state/area and provide written recommendations thereto.
- 6. Shall administer as least one state meeting and one state workshop during a calendar year.
- 7. Shall verify that all Membership Development & Intake Process (MIP) packets are in proper order (correct amount of funds, proper documents supporting GPA, etc.) from the chapters before forwarding to the Regional Director.
- 8. Shall make a sincere effort to reactivate any inactive chapters in your state or area, assuring that the chapter taxes have been paid and that there is at least five financial members in every undergraduate chapter and at least ten financial members in every graduate chapter under your jurisdiction.
- 9. Shall serve as the Regional Director’s personal designee in your state or area in all matters relating to Phi Beta Sigma. To serve as representative on behalf of the fraternity whenever such representation is requested and an elected Regional or National Officer cannot be present. The State Director serves as the highest ranking official of the fraternity in all matters related thereto whenever elected Regional or National Officers are not present.
- 10. Shall assist the National and Regional Program Directors in communication their programs in your state.
- 11. Shall attend all Regional Board Meetings, Eastern Regional Conference and respective State Meeting and prepare a detailed written and oral report (Regional Board Meetings and State Meetings).
- 12. Shall perform all other duties as requested by the Regional Director or designee on the Regional Board concerning the respective nature of their Board duties.
Area Deputy Directors:
- 1. Shall assist their State Director in the performance of his duties and act for him in his absence or incapacity to act.
- 2. Shall be responsible for a designated area as mandated by the Regional Director.
- 3. Shall perform all duties asked of him by their respective State Director.
- 4. Shall provide a quarterly written report for all activities in respective area to their respective State Director.
- 5. Shall maintain contact with their respective State Director a minimum of once a week via phone call and electronic mail.
- 6. Shall visit each chapter in your state at least once a quarter.
- 7. Shall perform all other duties as requested by the Regional Director or designee on the Regional Board concerning the respective nature of their Board duties.
Vice State Director: